The Süleymaniye Mosque, which Sinan described as the journeyman, was built between 1551 and 1558 by the order of the Ottoman sultan Kanuni Sultan Süleyman. The dome of the mosque, which has 3 balconies, 75 meters high and 4 minarets, is 53 meters high. The first stone, the construction of which was started in one of the most beautiful places of Istanbul, is narrated by the great scholar Şeyhülislam Ebussuud Efendi.
The temple has a main dome, two half domes and two quarter domes and ten small domes. The main dome has four elephant legs; dome arches retain four large granite columns. The 32-window dome is 27.25 meters in diameter and 53 meters above the ground. To strengthen the axis of the sedan (sound), there are 64 cubes of 50 cm in length, placed inside the dome and in the corners, with its mouth open to the inside, resulting in a sensitive acoustics. The mosque, which has an interior area of approximately 3,500 square meters, is 59 meters long and 58 meters wide and receives light through 238 windows. The sultan and muezzin mahfimi, which is based on granite and marble columns, attracts attention with its pulpit and mihrab craftsmanship. The section, which is surrounded by metal networks to the right of the muezzin mahfil, was used as a library until 1918; The existing books were transferred to the Public Library at the Suleymaniye Madrasahs on the same date.
The mosque, which has five doors, has colored windows on the front of the mihrab. The windows, which are the work of the well-known master of the period, İbrahim Usta, compare the sunlight entering through the windows to Mimar Sinan Şehper-i Cibril (Wings of Gabriel). There are four very precious granite columns in the mosque and these were taken from Alexandria, Baalbek, Kıztaşı and Saray-ı Amire in Istanbul and brought to the mosque. These four columns, each with a height of 9.02 meters and a diameter of 1.14 meters and 40-50 tons, resemble Mimar Sinan to the Four Caliphs. The floor of the temple has a large inner courtyard with three doors surrounded by marbles and surrounded by porches with 28 domes. Mezkûr dome arches are based on 24 columns and 12 of them are granite, 10 of them are marble and two of them are porphyry marble columns.
The mosque has four minarets and ten balconies built in accordance with its majesty. Two of the minarets are three cheers and the other two are two cheers. The minarets called “Mosque minarets” and “Harem Minarets” are the fourth sultan with the conquest of Istanbul; Ten honor indicates that the Ottoman Empire was the 10th sultan. The minarets rising towards the sky are like a praying person with both hands raised. The writings in the mosque are the work of the famous calligrapher Ahmet Karahisarî and his student Hasan Çelebi. Later, Kazasker Mustafa Efendi also added some articles. Except for a few of the writings, the text of all of them was taken from the Quran and it was processed skillfully. The inscription written on the door entered into the mosque from the inner courtyard is divided into three parts as right-middle-left. In the first part, the qualifications of the Law are counted, in the second part, its genealogy (lineage) is indicated in sequence, and in the third part, after the prayer to the continuation of the reign and the souls of the past, it is stated with what intention and when the superior qualities of the temple were made. The tomb in front of the altar belongs to Suleiman the Magnificent, who built a mosque with his own money, and the tomb next to him belonged to his wife Hürrem Sultan.
The mosque garden, which has an area of approximately 6 thousand square meters, has 11 doors. Seven madrasas have been established around the garden, five of which are famous as Süleymaniye Madrasas, at the high school level, one of which is a faculty and the other is a specialized department. While the buildings on the right side of the mosque were the Sibel School with the Evvel and Sani madrasahs, they were later notified (changed) to the Süleymaniye Library, and some of them became a children’s library. The medical madrasah on the corner serves as a maternity home, while the bimarhane opposite it serves as a military Quran course. While the buildings on the northern side of the mosque were formerly imaret houses, they were later used as the museum of Turkish-Islamic Works and transferred to the Süleymaniye Library in 1984.
Suleymaniye Mosque Features
- The mosque that Mimar Sinan mentioned as my journeyman period is the Süleymaniye Mosque.
- The master architect created an amazing acoustic inside the mosque thanks to the 65 cubes surrounding the dome, and made it possible to pray inside the mosque without even technological devices such as a microphone.
- For the first time, Mimar Sinan designed a business room for this mosque and said that the works of candles and oil lamps used for the lighting of the mosque will not harm the mosque. These collected works were used in the writing of many edicts and letters as ink. The ink was so special; It was not possible to erase the paper without destroying it completely.
- There are two windows opening out from the Job Room. When viewed from these windows, one can see signs from Allah and the other from Muhammad.
- Mimar Sinan placed ostrich eggs in the center of the chandelier as a precaution against pests, scorpions and insects.
- Although there are many eggs that have been stolen and broken over the years, there are still eggs hanging like the first day.
- The measurements in the mosque were made according to ebcet account.
- The tomb of many names such as Kanuni Sultan Süleyman, Mimar Sinan and Hürrem Sultan are within the complex of the mosque.