Galata Tower – Istanbul
Galata Tower , the coastal part of Istanbul, the Golden Horn and the Bosphorus can be viewed panoramicly.
The tower, which was heavily damaged during the IV Crusade in 1204, was restored by the Genoese in 1348 by using masonry stones in addition to the Galata walls. It was also the tallest building in the city in those years.
Galata Tower was upgraded between 1445-1446. Later, it was taken over by the Turks and restored and repaired every century. In the 16th century, it was used as a shelter for Christian prisoners of war working in Kasımpaşa shipyards.
During the IV.Murat period, in the first half of the 17th century, Hezarfen Ahmet Çelebi placed the wooden eagle wings on his back (1638) and flew from Galata Tower to Üsküdar. Engravings were made in England about this flight that attracted attention in Europe.
During the Selim III period, more than half of the tower was burned in a fire The tower was repaired and damaged in a fire again in 1831. In 1875, the roof cone was overthrown. Starting in 1965 and finished in 1967, the last repair of the tower is provided today’s appearance.