The Rumeli Fortress was built right before the conquest of Istanbul by Fatih Sultan Mehmet, located in the district of Sarıyer, which gave its name to the district in Bogazici.
Rumeli Hisari History
It is at the narrowest point to ensure sea safety. Rumelihisarı was built before the city siege and completed in an incredibly short period of 4 months in 1452, in order to prevent aid and supplements from the Black Sea during the siege of Istanbul, opposite an earlier Turkish fortress on the opposite shore.
When the young Ottoman Sultan of the period decided to take Istanbul, he took some precautions before the siege. Unless the ships passing through the Bosphorus were taken under control, conquest would remain a difficult matter. For this, the idea of building a fortress that would take the Bosphorus under control was put forward. Sultan Mehmed Han, who returned from the Karaman Campaign at the end of 1451 summer, was crossing the Anatolian Fortress area, and carefully examined the situation of the Bosphorus. Due to the disability of the guns at that time and the inability of the shot puters, the previous Anatolian Fortress was not sufficient to control the ships coming from the Black Sea. For this reason, the construction of the castle, which was planned by Sultan Mehmed Han himself, was started in March 1452 with the idea of preparing for the conquest of Istanbul and dominating the Bosphorus.
Information About Anadolu Hisari
On 15 April 1452, the foundation was laid and the construction of the castle was started with great speed. Five to six thousand workers and masters worked in the construction of the castle, where the division of labor was fully revealed. Construction was completed in August at the end of hard work. The fortress, which suffered great damage from the Istanbul earthquake in 1509, was repaired in a very short time. The fortress, which had a fire in 1746, was finally repaired in the time of Third Selim Han (1789-1807). Hisar, which Fatih Sultan Mehmed Han personally named Bogazkesen, was also named Yenihisar, Yenicehisar, Yenikale, Nikhisar (Güzelhisar) and Baskesen. However, due to its location in time, the name Rumeli Hisari made others forget.
Rumeli Hisarı Architectural Features
Lumber used in the construction of RumeliHisarı was obtained from Iznik and Black Sea Ereglis, stones and lime from different parts of Anatolia and the ruined Byzantine structures in the surrounding area. According to architect E. H. Ayverdi, approximately 300 masters, 700-800 workers, 200 coachmen, boatmen, shippers and other crews worked in the construction of the fortress. The work volume of the work covering an area of 60,000 square meters is approximately 57,700 cubic meters. The length of the walls of the fortress, which unites the big towers, is 250 meters from north to south and 125 meters from east to west. There are 4 main sections: Mountain Gate, Dizdar Gate, Hisarpeçe Gate and Flood Gate, and a secondary gate named Cemetery Gate.
There are also 2 secret gates near the south-facing tower at the end of the roads leading to the ammunition and food cellars. Along with the ground floors, the Saruca Pasha and Halil Pasha towers are 9-storey and the Zağanos Pasha Tower is 8-storey. The diameter of the Saruca Pasha Tower is 23.30 meters, the wall thickness is 7 meters, and the height is 28 meters. The diameter of the Zağanos Pasha Tower is 26.70 meters, the wall thickness is 5.70 meters, and the height is 21 meters. The diameter of the Halil Pasha Tower is 23.30 meters, the wall thickness is 6.5 meters and the height is 22 meters. Rumeli Fortress is used as a museum and open air theater today. There is an open exhibition in the fortress, there is no exhibition hall. The works consisting of balls, cannons and part of the chain that is said to close the Golden Horn are exhibited in the garden.