You will learn everything you wonder about Marmaris Castle in our article. Where is Marmaris Castle? Marmaris Castle entrance fee. Information about Marmaris Castle. Marmaris Castle. Marmaris beaches. History of Marmaris Castle. Information about Marmaris. Places to visit in Marmaris Castle. Places to visit in Marmaris.
Marmaris Archeology Museum serves in a historical place in Marmaris Castle. Herodotos, the first walls in Marmaris, BC. III. He wrote that it was made in a thousand. Physkos (Marmaris), which was a Caria city in this period, is a transition point between Aegean Sea and Mediterranean Sea as it is today. The city’s port has preserved its importance throughout the ages with trade routes to Rhodes and Egypt. In the work of 19th century researcher Charles Texier; The ruins spoke of a fortress overlooking Physkos Bay in the Fineks Mountains. B.C. It is known that Alexander the Great, who invaded Marmaris in 334, repaired the castle due to its strategic importance. The only written source that mentions the construction of Marmaris Castle, which is located at a high point behind the Marina, is Evliya Çelebi’s Seyahatname. Evliya Çelebi, who traveled around Muğla in the 17th century, mentions that before Suleiman the Magnificent’s Rhodes Expedition, he ordered to build the castle and used it as a military base during the expedition. In the source, it is said that the castle was built with four bases on the bedrock, there were 400-foot walls made of smooth stones, there was an inscription on the entrance door, inside there were rooms for dizdar, imam, trustees and guards. In the work of another historical writer, Celaloğlu Mustafa, where Kanuni Sultan Süleyman and his army describe the Marmaris days, the Rhodes Campaign and their return to Istanbul, there is no mention of the castle. Piri Reis, who wrote the “Book of Navy”, does not include Marmaris Castle in his work and on the map he draws. In the light of this information, there is another view regarding the construction date of Marmaris Castle.
Accordingly, Kanuni Sultan Süleyman, who ascended the throne in 1520, requested that the castle be built upon the return of the Rhodes Campaign. Hafiza Sultan Caravanserai is located at the entrance of the narrow and stepped street leading to the castle. The rectangular caravanserai has seven small and one large rooms and are covered with arches. The inscription at the entrance of this contemporary building with the castle reads 1545. This history reinforces the view that the castle and the inn were built at the same time after the expedition. An important part of the fortress was destroyed during the First World War in 1914 by gunshots of a French warship. It is known that there are 18 residences, a fountain and a cistern in the castle, which was settled by the people of Marmaris, from the pre-Republic to the recent history. Marmaris Castle was restored between 1980-1990 and opened to service as Marmaris Museum in 1991. It has a total of seven closed spaces. The cradle vaulted entrance space opens onto the inner garden. The stairs on the right and left in the courtyard provide exit to the walls. Two of the closed spaces covered with cradle vaults; Arranged as an archeology hall. In these halls and gardens, stone works collected from the region, amphorae belonging to the Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine Ages and oil lamps, bottles, figurines made of terracotta unearthed in Knidos, Burgas, Hisarönü excavations, and glass works, arrowheads, coins and ornaments are exhibited.
In the ethnography hall, weaving, carpet, rug, furniture, copper kitchenware, weapons and ornaments related to daily life are exhibited. Apart from these halls, other venues are used as art galleries, offices and warehouses. The museum is open to visitors every day between 08.30-12.00 and 13.00-17.30, except Mondays, during the tourist season. Marmaris, which is a settlement surrounded by the sea in the west and mountains in the south, has been a preferred place in history due to this strategic feature. It is learned from the written sources that the ancient name was Physkos and that it had a special importance among the cities of Rhodes State. Marmaris and Datça districts, which are under the control of the Marmaris Archeology Museum, show integrity within the historical geography. B.C. There are many traces reflecting the history of the region from 3 thousand years until the end of the Ottoman Period. The prehistoric history of Marmaris District and Datça Peninsula is not yet fully known today.
However, since the second half of the 19th century, the region was discovered and explored by local and foreign travelers and scientists. Within the boundaries of Marmaris District; With Physkos, Amos, Erine, Kastabos, Saranda, Bybasslos, Tymnus, Gallipolis, Prynos, Hydas, Paradise Island, Kedreal, Goat and Badr Islands, Euthenna, Bayır-Gebekse, Pymos, Sanjak Sanjak, Loryma, Lake Kıran, Çubucak ceramic workshops Knidos, Bybassos, Trioplon and Burgaz settlements, located within the borders of Datça District, are part of the territory of the Rhodes Union in Anatolia in the ancient geography. So it is the opposite side of Rhodes. In addition to these ruins in the peninsula, there are many cultural assets consisting of single structures such as cistern, tomb, castle, church, monastery, mill, and oilhouse in the region. In recent years, the history of the region has been studied in detail with excavations and surveys.