About The Kızlarağası Inn
We can say that the inns in İzmir are the largest and the most magnificent. It has a monumental feature. Besides, being the only example in terms of its architectural feature gives it originality among Ottoman inns. It was built by Yakup Bey in 1598. It was built a few meters from the west side of Hisar Mosque, the largest mosque in Izmir. This section forms the east side of the inn. The western front is opposite the Halim Ağa bazaar, the old Keresteciler is on 871 streets today. The inn, which was built at the seaside in time, has moved 200 meters away from the beach due to the filling of the sea in time.
Architectural features of Kızlarağası Inn
It is finally understood that Kızlarağası was built in 1744 according to the date in the building inscription of the inn built by Hacı Beşir Ağa. In 1745, there was a significant collapse on the han front due to landslide. However, the inn was repaired immediately. Due to the earthquake in 1997, the inn was largely damaged. It was repaired very well for the second time in 1779. Khan survived earthquake and fire events in the following years. The main similarity of Kızlarağası Inn with other Ottoman inns is that it is in the order of inns with bazaars and courtyards. Upstairs overlooking the courtyard, 5 columns, 6 rows of arches, unique porticoes and overhanging bay windows on the consoles on the façade are considered among the Ottoman inn architecture. It is a magnificent magnificent building with 4000 square meters, nearly square rectangular plan, 2 storeys, single-storey bedesten in the northern section, and a large courtyard of approximately 600 square meters. There is a corridor in the south of the lower floor of the inn, which is spread over a large area, two in the north (Cevahir Bedesteni) and a corridor in the east (Copper Bedestu and Çuha Bedesteni). Apart from these, there is a single storey annex with shops with an old name overlooking the Çankırılı street. This section was originally built as the “Saçmahane” in 1745. We learn from the charity that this row of shops, leaning against the outer wall of the southern corridor and under the roof of the inn, was added to the house as the Saçmahane in 1745 immediately after the construction of the inn. (Today’s 906th Street) The first corridor in the north (Copper Bedesten) 902th street is the street where restaurants are located today. It was built in 1746 during the restoration of the front of the inn and was included in the inn. Copper Bedesten, which consists of 26 shops, consisted of a single floor, was dominant in the years when it was first built, especially in the following years, Iranian silk and silk were sold. The second corridor in the north, which is adjacent and parallel to the copper bed, is the bedest that opens to the Hisar Mosque courtyard with a door, across the Halim Ağa Bazaar with its other door, and reaches the present day in the most robust and original form compared to other parts of the inn.
Architectural features of Kızlarağası Inn
In the first years, there were generally tradesmen of strawberries. Later, when the Çuhacı tradesmen on the upper floor of the inn went down, it took the name Çuha Bedesteni and became the most important bedesten of the inn. The Broadcloth bedestyles are connected to each other by a door and passage in the middle of them with the Copper Bedestrain. Bedestens open to the outside with a door in the east and west directions. It also provides contact with the courtyard through the passages in the middle of it. The eastern corridor, which we can say from the interior, is the base of the U-shape formed by the other two corridors. This corridor is directly connected to the courtyard with a passage in the middle. Before the restoration; The vault vaults covering the western gallery together with the portico arches were completely destroyed. The pillars were able to survive until the restoration, thanks to the tensioners that connected them to the building and to the building. The columns in the inn consist of plain stone cylinders. Column heads, triangle and diamond are decorated with geometric Turkish motifs. There are 73 rooms on the upper floor of the inn. A considerable part of the rooms in the other two corridors apart from those in the northern corridor was completely or partially demolished before the restoration. Some of them were in a dilapidated condition, some of which had lost their quality.
You can enter the courtyard through the large main door in the middle of the facade. When we give our face to the façade of the inn, there are two on the left side (the doors of the Copper and Çuha Bedestens) and one on the right side on the right (Cevahir Bedesteni gate). Today, two rows of hedgehog eaves made of brick, all around, from the inside and outside of the building, from the end of the bullet cover are entangled. There were as many chimneys on the roof as the number of rooms. All original chimneys have been reconstructed in accordance with the original by taking two original chimneys as examples. Since Hacı Beşir Ağa had commercial relations with İzmir in the 1740s, his presence in İzmir, he knew the commercial potential here closely, and that he had a positive example such as the Grand Vizier Han was the factor in the construction of Kızlarağası Han.
The ground floor of Kızlarağası Han was used for storage and commercial purposes. The caravans descending to the hana were unloaded here, allocated for exportation, sale or storage in shops, and shopping. The caravan, such as camels, mules, donkeys, horses, was overnight after lowering their loads to the han’s courtyard. The goods were kept in han warehouses and cellars. The doors of the inn were closed with the darkening of the air as in all inns. On the upper floor of the inn, there were rooms with furnaces, niches, basements and wooden floors that were used for overnight purposes. There were also tools and equipment inside the rooms such as floor mats, earthenware, jugs, earthen lamps and tobacco lettuce.
The fact that the Kızlarağası Inn was built in the most central place (at the port mouth) of İzmir in the time of the trade is an indication of the important function of the Inn. Han, which is so important in the economic life of İzmir, reached its peak in 1778 and continued this brilliant period for a hundred years from this date until the last quarter of the 19th century.