Where is Fethiye Mosque: Pammakaristos Monastery? How to go to Fethiye Mosque: Pammakaristos Monastery? What is the history of Fethiye Mosque: Pammakaristos Monastery? What are the entrance fees for the Fethiye Mosque Pammakaristos Monastery? You can find the answer to all these questions in this article and discover the Fethiye Mosque: Pammakaristos Monastery with us. Pleasant readings..
Pammakaristos Church was rebuilt on the ruins of the old church after the end of 1261 Latin domination. The northern part of the church is Hz. It is dedicated to Mary.
Eastern Roman Emperor 8. Michael Palabas, nephew of Michael Palailogos, was repaired by Ducas Tarchainotes between 1292 and 1294. In addition to the building, in 1315, Hz. A small pareklesion was built, dedicated to Jesus.
In this additional church with a grave chapel, there are graves of Maria and Michael. The building was used as a women’s monastery after the conquest. The Patriarchate, which came out of the Havarium Church in 1455, moved here and was used as the Patriarchate until 1586.
During the Ottoman period, Sultan Murad III (1574-1595) named the church Fethiye. The building was repaired and renovated between 1845 and 1846.
The parecclesion is a nartex and gallery and the naos section is covered with a dome with a diameter of 2.30 meters. The facades of the building reflect the characteristics of the late Byzantine architecture. “Protostratos was built by Michael Glabas Ducas Tarchainotes” in the writing strip on the brick architectural band adorning the south facade. is located. On the same front, a poem by Poet Philes is written on marble erasing.
The dome and walls of the parekklesion are decorated with 14th century mosaics. Hz. Jesus, the Prophet. Deisis, consisting of Mary and John the Baptist, is in the middle of the dome. Jesus depicted 12 Torah prophets in the inner slices and Saints and Baptism in the vaults.
The Southern Church of the Monastery (Chapel)
In the 14th century, the church continued to expand and between 1310 and 1315, the tomb church was built in the southern part of the church as a paralleration by his wife Maria Dukaena in honor of General Michael Dukas Glabas.
After the Turks took the city around 1454-1456, the Patriarch II. Gennasios was chosen as the monastery patriarchate and the church continued to be used as the grave church of the nobility.
At the end of the 16th century, that is, III. With the conquest of Azerbaijan and Georgia in the time of Murad, the building was converted into a mosque in honor of the victory and was named “Fethiye Mosque”.
The main door, which was changed in the mosque, was renovated and a minaret was added next to it, the eastern apse was destroyed, and a new building with a dome was built, and a mihrab was formed, and the arches were replaced by arches.
In the 19th and 20th centuries, the main building remained as a mosque, but the south church, which was used as a chapel, was transferred to the Museum Administration and used as a museum.
South Church Dome Mosaic
The mosaics in the South Church of the building were made in the 14th century. There is a Pantakrator Jesus surrounded by the Apostles in the mosaics in the dome of the South Church. The Deesis scene is depicted in Absis.
In the depiction of Jesus in the dome, as with all pantakrator Jesus depictions, he holds the Bible with his right hand and holds the Bible in his left hand. He was described as auburn, thin long nose and small mouth with his crusader halo. Apostles are listed in the dome slices.
South Church Apse Mosaics
In the scene of Deesis in Absis, Jesus again makes a sign of consecration and is depicted sitting.
Arched niches are carved in the left and right parts of the depiction of Jesus in the part of Absis. Mary and John, who completed the Deesis scene, are located in the niches.
Monastery Exterior Arrangement
Pammakaristos Monastery South Church, called the chapel or chapel in the sources, was built in four free supported closed Greek cross plan types. The narthex unit has two floors.
There are four or five burial niche in the narthex. In the southern and eastern facades of the building, we see intensely the material-technical features of the late period Byzantine architecture.
The facades are animated with deep deaf niches, arches, triple windows, wall piers and moldings.
Pammakaristos Monastery South Church (Chapel) Plan
We said that the chapel located in the south of the church is of the Greek cross plan type. The cross vault is covered, including the cross arms and the apse and the unit located in the middle of the cross arm in the west.
The section with the Pantakrator Jesus in the middle unit is covered with a dome. The apse with five surfaces has been flooded out.
Visiting Days and Hours: Except Wednesday, other days 09.00 – 18.00
Entrance Fee: Adult: 5 ₺