Where is Beyazıt fire tower? How to go to Beyazit fire tower? What is the history of Beyazıt fire tower? What are the architectural features of Beyazıt fire tower? What are the entrance fees for Beyazıt fire tower? You can find the answer to all these questions in this article and discover the Beyazıt fire tower with us. Pleasant readings ..
History Of Beyazit Fire Tower
In Istanbul, which is one of the cities with the greatest number of fires in its history, the “Tulumbacı Quarry” was established in 1720 by Damad İbrâhim Pasha to protect the city against fires. The Küçükpazar fire, which broke out in 1749, accelerated with the effect of the blowing wind, and burned down the Ağakapısı Palace. For this reason, a fire tower was built using a wooden material to take precautions by observing the fires that occurred during the reconstruction of Ağakapısı. The novice boys who were placed here and watching the city day and night were also called “kiosk”. During the Cibali fire in 1774, this tower burned and a new wooden tower was built in its place. In 1826, while the Janissaries’ Quarry was lifted, the tower was demolished. However, when a fire that broke out two days later showed that it was necessary to build a tower again, a new wooden tower was built in the courtyard of Bâb-ı Seraskerî (now known as Istanbul University). When this tower, which was completed on 21 June 1826, was burned and burned, today’s masonry tower was built in 1828.
Architectural Features of Beyazıt Tower
The architect of this last form of Beyazıt Tower is the famous Senekerim Balyan. The tower, which rises on a pedestal-shaped plinth with an upper half cut, was built in the Western architectural style. There is an inscription on the east side of the base. In the upper part of this book, which was written with a calligraphy (a special writing style) containing the historical verse of Keçecizâde İzzet Molla, the Sultan II. There is the monogram of Mahmud. The inscription was carefully written by calligrapher Yesârîzâde Mustafa İzzet Efendi. In 1849, the wooden roof of the tower with a pointed ear was replaced. Instead, three masonry floors were placed, consisting of one room with four round windows. Iron bars were built on the edges. In 1889, a flag post was added on the tower.
The tower consists of sections called seizures, signs, baskets and starboard floors from the bottom. The watchtower (guard floor) of the tower, whose height is 85 meters, is at the fiftieth meter. After the abacus on the truncated pyramid-shaped main base, there is an onion-shaped shoe part. There are spirals at the top and bottom of this grooved body section that cuts the round body in vertical lines. You can reach the observation level from the body part by going through a reverse onion shaped section. Above this terrace-shaped section, there is an octagonal planned main observation section. There are also decorative elements in this section. The ladder of the tower, whose main walls are made of stone, is made of wood.
Today, this historical building is still used by the Istanbul Municipality Fire Department as a fire watchtower.
Location of the Museum: Next to Istanbul University Central Campus Rectorate Building 34452 Beyazıt / Fatih-İstanbul
Visiting Fee: Free