You will learn everything you wonder about Aynalikavak Pavilion in our article. The history of Aynalikavak Pavilion. Where is Aynalikavak Kasri? How to Go Aynalikavak Kasri? Information about Aynalikavak Kasri.
According to what Evliya Çelebi wrote, right after the conquest, the grassland was established here, and the spoils were distributed, and Fatih Sultan Mehmed decided to build a pavilion, sofas and pool, fountain and bathhouse in the same place, and also asked to plant 12,000 cypress trees. Although the number given is a bit exaggerated, it is a fact that this place is in the form of a forest. In this place, called the shipyard garden, it is not possible to unequivocally enlighten whether a pavilion was built during the time of the Conqueror. However, the shipyard’s XVI. After settling in Kasımpaşa in Haliç century, the wide area between the coast and the slopes of Okmeydanı overlooking the beach has become a Shipyard garden and was called Hasbahçe because it is for the sultans. Here were the gardens where various vegetables of the palace were grown and also Has Ahur for the horses of the sultan.
The oldest pavilion documented to be built in the yard of the shipyard was built on the order of Sultan Ahmed I (1603-1617). Sultan Ahmed from time to time came to the yard of Tersane and went to visit Eyüp via Sütlüce on foot. According to Naîmâ, the sultan edict a pavilion in the yard of the Shipyard in the days of Edirne in late 1022 (1613) and remained in this pavilion, which was just finished when he returned to Istanbul at the beginning of the 1023 Muharram (February 1614). Meanwhile, flowers gifted by the notables of the state were planted in the harem garden of the pavilion. Since the outbuilding of the Shipyard Garden Pavilion is not enough, some of the suite was housed in the garden of Yûsuf Efendi adjacent to the Karaağaç Pavilion more in the interior of the Golden Horn.
Sultan İbrâhim, who was born in the Shipyard Garden Palace, had another pavilion built on the Golden Horn shore within the borders of the palace, XVII. Other sultans of the century did not fall behind the palace. Meanwhile, it is learned from Evliya Çelebi that there is a large staff of staff working for the maintenance of the garden. The sultans often came here and stayed here, as the archery was made on the back of Okmeydanı, a popular sports branch. Sultan İbrâhim destroyed the high wall in 1057 (1647), which prevented the harem part of the palace from seeing the sea, thus the facade of the harem was opened.
Shipyard Garden Palace IV. During the reign of Mehmed, he had a fire disaster in the middle of the 1089 Muharram (March 1678). Historian Silâhdar Mehmed Ağa also participated in extinguishing this fire since he was one of the gardeners, and it was possible to prevent fire by building a wall. IV. Construction was completed shortly after Mehmed ordered the repair of the palace immediately. As a matter of fact, when the sultan returned from the Polish expedition in 1090 Muharram (February 1679), he watched the parade with boats in Golden Horn from the cage mansion on the beach. XVIII. In the 19th century, the Shipyard Garden Palace has retained its bright state as before. III. During the reign of Ahmed, especially as the Golden Horn and the Kâ Kağıthane creek flowing here, the palace was kept well maintained. Meanwhile, after the peace treaty signed with the Republic of Venice in 1718, large and precious mirrors came from Venice as gifts and these were used to decorate the inner walls of the Shipyard. For this reason, it is said that the word “long mirrors as poplar” has turned into the name of Aynalıkavak and this place is now known by this name.
XIX. In the 16th century, a relief painting made by an artist named Mıgırdıç Melkon and showing Aynalıkavak Palace shows that a mirror fragment was buried in the trunk of one of the poplar trees outside the palace. III. Aubry de La Mortraye, who came to Istanbul during the reign of Ahmed and had the opportunity to enter Aynalıkavak Palace, reports that the palace took this name from the large and small mirrors in its rooms. According to La Mortraye, the view of the Golden Horn from the palace, which is mostly on the pebbles of the sea, looks very beautiful. A dome decorated with rich embroidery covers this hall. The rooms next door are equally adorned. There is also a very beautiful hammam here. Since the tiles were repaired during La Mortraye’s visit, the walls were covered with tiles. Melling, on the other hand, writes that the name of this place is always misrepresented, that a kind of poplar tree whose leaves shine like a mirror when the sun hits it is given this name and that there is a very old poplar here. However, the palace was known by this name much earlier. Du Loir, who remained in Istanbul from November 1639 to February 1641, wrote that the walls are holes, so it just feels made of mirrors and is called Mirror Palace. The Swedish engineer Loos, who painted the palace in 1710, also called the Palace of Mirrors (Spiegel Serail-Sale de Miroirs). So the name given to Tersane Palace is not related to the mirrors from Venice, but is older. I. According to another opinion suggested by H. Konyalı, the palace was named after its neighbor Okmeydanı, since its arrow targets were called mirror and their supports were poplar. Sultan III. While the circumcision wedding of Ahmed’s princes was held in Okmeydanı for the Feast of 1132 (June 1720) for 15 days, the sultan remained in Aynalıkavak Palace with all the people of the harem. Descriptions and miniatures of this magnificent entertainment are found in Seyyid Vehbi’s Surname. Sultan III. It is known that Osman stayed in this palace in 1169 (1755-56).
For the clarification of some articles of the Küçük Kaynarca Treaty signed between the Ottoman State and Russia in 1774, representatives of the two states met at the Aynalıkavak Palace (1779) and a new agreement called Aynalıkavak Tenkihnâma was signed at the end of these negotiations. But the palace had started to be devastated by this time. In the last years of Sultan Abdulhamid I, Grand Vizier Koca Yûsuf Pasha visited the palace in 1201 (1787) several times and saw the need for urgent repairs, and repair work began on 22 Şevval 1201 (7 August 1787). Dates related to this repair are found in the divan of the poet Sürûrî. XVIII. It is seen that Aynalıkavak Palace was used in the negotiations with foreign ambassadors and representatives at the end of the century, and became a kind of Hariciye mansion. In Ahmed Vâsıf Efendi’s History, talks with Russian (Muscovite) and British ambassadors are mentioned here. Before the repair, the Russian ambassador and the woman of Istanbul and the re-sultanate met again in the Muharram of 1179 (July 1765) with the same ambassador, Grand Vizier, Kaptanpaşa and the previous ones in Safer, and then negotiations were made between the Austrian (Nemçe) ambassador and the woman and the reesulgut. An important meeting took place between the British ambassador and the grand vizier.
Sultan III. Selim (1789-1808) spent only one spring here, and during the first years of his reign, Kaptanıderyâ Küçük Hüseyin Pasha undertook the repair of the palace. This repair should probably be related to the demolition of many sections of Tersane Palace and the seaside pavilion, which adds a distinct beauty to the Golden Horn coast, in contrast to the construction of the current pavilion in its former Has Room Mansion. According to Melling, the French envoy, General H. Sebastiani, appeared in the Tersane Mansion in 1806 in the presence of the sultan in contradiction with the Ottoman court house and traditions, which must have been a newly built and existing building. While the location of the old palace was largely added to the Shipyard, its stones were used in the construction of the Mihrişah Valide Sultan Medrese and Tomb in Eyüp.
Today, the building called Aynalıkavak Pavilion, on the other hand, has a very wide area and consists of many buildings, the building of the Tersane Palace, a building that goes down to Ahmed I, and perhaps the Has III. It was formed during the first years of Selim by reorganizing its interior architecture. Sultan Selim is mentioned in the vaults above the inner doors and the date 1206 (1791-92) is given. Among them, the poet Enderunlu Fâzıl’s historical verse was written with the ta line of Yesârî Mehmed Efendi. Another historical verse in one of the rooms is by Sheikh Galib. Although ebz * of these verses (in the form of 1195 and 1208) can be calculated differently, all of them also have a date of 1206 in numbers. Although Krikor Balyan (1767-1831) was shown as the architect of the pavilion, it is not possible that Balyan, who was only twenty-three and twenty-four years old, built this mansion from the foundation. Probably Balyan, basically XVII-XVIII. It must have supervised the interior of the building, which belongs to centuries, according to the new taste.
In Aynalıkavak Pavilion, which is now in a narrow area, it is said that the Shipyard Conference, called Meclis-i Mükâleme, which lasted for about a month in late 1876, was held, but the information that this important meeting was held in the Navy Ministry building in Kasımpaşa is more accurate. During the First World War, during the Navy Ministry, Cemal Pasha gave a part of the garden of the pavilion to the shipyard and removed the additional buildings and, in the meantime, the ruined bath, while repairing the pavilion.
It is said that the Turkish-British Mosul Conference was held here in the first years of the Republic in 1924. Aynalıkavak-Hasbahçe Pavilion, which was under the control of the Navy for a long time, was given to the National Palaces Administration in recent years and re-opened and opened to visitors.
The construction of the bakery and warehouse with a large stone stone with eight stones for the navy in the wide area and garden of the palace started in 1236 (1820-21) and was completed in 1247 (1831-32) according to its inscription. Later, this burning furnace and mill was reconstructed in 1301 (1883-84). A technician school called Haddehâne School was built in 1249 (1833-34) on the same land, besides a rolling mill, machinery and personnel offices. The same year, the foundry and the ironhouse were built, and in 1267 (1850-51) the hammerhouse was built. In the same place, three ship sleds known as Valid sled, Taşkızak, and Yeşilkızak, and a boiler workshop in 1304 (1886-87), steel furnace and the whole year of the Aynalıkavak Palace, with the exception of the Has Room Pavilion, were excluded from the industry. region has been.
It was understood that the Palace of Aynalıkavak, which was built in a large grove, was composed of various structures, especially Has Oda Kasrı, there was also a bath, and on the Hasköy side, it was a small wall for the sultanate and surrounded the palace land.
The pictures showing the most important parts of Aynalıkavak Beach Palace are miniatures in Seyyid Vehbi’s Surname. XVIII. In these pictures of the 20th century, the sultan watches the games performed in the Golden Horn in a mansion with a wide eave and a life-long cage (veranda) on the facade. The paintings depicting the big hall of the main mansion and the interior of the bath and stating all the details were King XII in 1710. It was drawn by the Swedish engineer Loos, who came to Istanbul with Carl (Demirbaş Şarl) and returned with highly valuable designs. In these, wall, ceiling and dome decorations of the main pavilion, selsebile, windows and cabinets, hearth living, wall tiles and even carpets on the floor are carefully specified. The interior of the bath was drawn with all the sections, the tiles on the walls, the vault and the dome embroideries, with the record “The Sultan’s Bath in the Tersane Palace”. These pictures include the Has Oda Mansion, which is the Hünkâr Pavilion of Aynalıkavak Palace, XVIII. Before the changes in the 20th century, they reflect the appearance of Ahmed I and Sultan Ibrahim. XVIII. At the end of the century, both the French ambassador Comte de Choiseul-Gouffier and other Western painters left paintings documenting the palace’s appearance from the Golden Horn. III. In the work of Melling, which had a very close connection with the palace during the reign of Selim, Aynalıkavak Palace was mentioned only on the edge of a picture. However, all these paintings are sufficient to get a sufficient idea about Hasbahçe Pavilion.
Apart from these, two archive documents written at the time that the Aynalıkavak Palace has preserved its integrity provide information about the general order of this large palace community on the Golden Horn coast. The first of these is a discovery report dated 1180 (1766-67) about “Kasr-ı Hümâyun, which is known as the Balikhan Palace Pavilion in Sarıkay-ı Hümâyunu”. Here, a wooden domed pavilion, an adjacent ablution room, two Taht-ı Hümâyun Pavilions and a bath were mentioned and the necessary allowance for their repair was shown. The second document dated 1220 (1805) in the archive by Saffet Bey reveals the situation before the palace collapsed. According to this discovery, there are six kiosks, three large and three small, within the borders of the Aynalıkavak Palace. Four of them are in the harem, and two are in the shrine. One of the large pavilions is a two-story Dâire-i Hümâyun, covered with tiles and covers 1162 peaks. The second is the Namazgâh Mansion, which is covered with lead, embroidered inside and occupies 264 peaks on the shore. The third pavilion is Has Oda Dâire-i Hümâyunu, with the size of 979 peaks. The entire palace covered an area of 15,000 square meters, and had a garden measuring 9,000 square meters, rising in sets at the back. When viewed from the Golden Horn, a two-storey harem apartment measuring 4300 cubic meters was seen. A part of the Has Room with a lead-covered dome and a gilded and flashlight of gold was a divanhâne. Around this section, there were the Enderun Apartment and the Turkish bath, and later on the apartments of Silâhdar Ağa and Has Odabaşı. Between the Has Oda Mansion and the shore, there was a small mosque connected by a passage and the Namazgâh Mansion. The masonry treasury office was next to the Treasury masters office, next to the Dârüssaâde Ağaları office. Behind, there were flats belonging to the other network and guardians. Since the palace was spread over a sloping land, it rises in sets, so the buildings behind it, and even the large pool, could be seen from the Golden Horn.
Apart from Sarây-ı Cedîd, which is now called Topkapı Palace, Aynalıkavak or Tersane Palace, the largest palace community on the Golden Horn coast, strives for innovation and technique to come to our country. Selim started to be demolished for the expansion of the Shipyard, only the large Has Room Mansion was completely renovated and left. Thus, this pavilion was no longer a place where the sultan used to live in the spring with the harem and the palace people and watch the demonstrations in Haliç and Okmeydanı. . Now the sultan was watching the launch of the newly built ships.
A courtyard wall flips around the pavilion and connects with three doors outside Hasköy, Tersane and Okmeydanı gates. On the Okmeydanı gate, Sheikh Galib’s verse dated 1206 (1791-92) was engraved with a ta line. Above this, II. Mahmud has a monogram dated 1233 (1817-18).
Aynalıkavak Pavilion was founded around the double divanne on a long axis in its present form. On one side of the axes and sofas there are the Supply Room, two rooms, two halls and stairs to the lower floor, on the other side there are two rooms, hall and entrance hall. There is a basement underneath, as the pavilion is on a sloping land. Outside the divanhân on the Okmeydanı side, it is flooding forward and III. There is a porch built during Selim’s time. There is a sliced wooden dome that is not determined from the inside above the divanhân on the Okmeydanı side. III on top of older building elements. In Selim’s time, plaster windows, wall and ceiling decorations were processed according to the new taste. A large chandelier, a precious barbecue and a golden gilded sofa are left from the old belongings of the palace. From the courtyard doors that open out to the garden of the pavilion, there is a masonry hut with a window, above the shipyard door, which is said to have been built for the sultan to watch the shipyard. This little add-on was made in the style of Byzantine architecture, Turkish art XVIII. It is possible to accept it as a sign of foreign influences entering the century.
Although there is no trace of the majesty of Aynalıkavak or Tersane Palace, which added beauty to the shores of Golden Horn for long centuries, the present Aynalıkavak Pavilion constitutes the last occurrence of these beauties, even from a late period. In addition, this building has a special place in the history of art as one of the last and very successful examples of Turkish kiosk and pavilion architecture, where ancient traditions are still kept alive.