Ataturk Museum Istanbul
We will share the Atatürk Museum, the history of the museum and how to get there. The building has been converted into a museum on Şişli Halaskargazi Street by Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality. The museum was once one of the houses where Atatürk lived in Istanbul.
Photos and clothes related to the life of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk are exhibited in the museum. In addition, documents related to reforms, the items used, paintings related to the National Struggle are also included in the museum.
The order in the museum is as follows:
At the entrance of the building, Atatürk’s Address to Youth and an article written by Atatürk draw attention. When you go to the dining room, you will be greeted with tables about the National Struggle. On the living room walls, there are magnificent photographs of his life from the birth of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk to the First World War
In the bedroom, study room and other rooms on the first floor, there are belongings used by Atatürk and the clothes he wore. These rooms contain documents related to the birth of the National Struggle years and the reforms carried out by Atatürk.
In the rooms on the second floor, there are photos, tables and documents related to Atatürk’s latest periods and death.
The last, that is, the third floor, owns photos of Atatürk’s revolutions, various books about Atatürk, newspapers, photos of his death, and the land brought from Anıtkabir in a jar.
History of Atatürk Museum
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk left the Syrian war front and came to Istanbul after the end of World War I on November 13, 1918. He was in Pera Palace for a while. Then he became a guest at his close friend Salih Fansa’s house in Beyoğlu. Atatürk then rented a 3-storey house in Şişli, now known as the Atatürk Museum.
Mustafa Kemal Atarüek, who settled upstairs with his mother Zübeyde Hanım and his sister Makbule, set aside the middle floor and settled here. He allocated the lowest floor to his cub. He continued to live in this house until the day he moved to Samsun. Atatürk had many meetings with his friends in this house. Among his colleagues, important names such as İsmet (İnönü) Pasha, Ali Fuat (Cebesoy) Pasha, Kazim (Karabekir) Pasha and Rauf Orbay had their names in history.
This house was purchased by Tahsin Uzer, the ex-governor of Erzurum in 1924. Tahsin Uzer placed a sign that Mustafa Kemal was sitting at the entrance of the house. This house, which is full of memories of Atatürk, was bought by Istanbul Municipality in 1928. Then, from the items used by Mustafa Kemal Atatürk to the documents bearing his signature, it was transformed into a structure with many important materials. On June 15, 1942, this building was opened to visitors under the name of Atatürk Revolution Museum when Lütfi Kırdar was the Governor and Mayor.
The Atatürk Museum suffered a terrible fire danger on January 9, 1962. The museum, which was later repaired and opened on March 4, 1962, was restored to Turing Automobile Association and İş Bank in 1977. It was reopened on May 19, 1981. The next repair was done in 1989. In 1991, the museum was made open to visitors again.
Introduction to the Museum
Entrance to the museum is free for everyone. The museum is closed to visitors on Sundays and Thursdays. On other days, it is open to your visit between 09:00 and 16:00.
Where is Atatürk Museum and How to Get There?
Address: Meşrutiyet Mahallesi Halaskargazi Caddesi No: 140 Osmanbey, Şişli / İstanbul
Phone Number: 0 (212) 233 47 23